• 2 High St. Danvers, MA 01923
  • 978.777.2377

History

A House of Public Entertainment

“A house of public entertainment was situated at the intersection of four principle streets in the Town of Danvers since the mid 1700’s. John Porter was the original owner. Ebenezer Berry purchased theproperty at the corner of Conant and High Street in 1804. Theestablishment became the Berry Tavern in 1808.

Ye Olde Berry Tavern

In 1838 the original tavern building was divided into three parts and a new structure was built in its place. Between 1838 and 1890 the establishment changed management several times and was known as the Putnam House, Naumkeag House and Hotel Danvers.

During the history of the location, the military congregated there to elect officers and the selectmen and assessors held meetings. Benedict Arnold stayed on the tavern grounds on his way thru Massachusetts to attack Quebec.

In 1898, after a significant renovation, the establishment became Ye Olde Berry Tavern and operated as such until the early 1920’s.

In the early 1900’s Danvers was coming into prominence as a summer resort town for those who wanted to enjoy the beauties of the country, but who were compelled by their business’ to remain within easy traveling distance of the city. Danvers was within 4 miles of Salem and 18 miles from Boston. At one point there were 40 trains per day servicing the town of Danvers. The express train taking 42 minutes.

The new Berry Tavern sits on the same site as the tavern in 1748. The goal, as it was in earlier years, to provide an atmosphere of hospitality, fine food and good cheer.

TYPE & ENTER: